Recipe courtesy of Crisco /Smucker’s
Luscious Cream Puffs
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 18 small cream puffs
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Dough: Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening or 1/2 stick of Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- Filling: 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Coat 3 baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine water, shortening and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Stir in flour all at once. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, 6 per sheet.
- Bake at least 30 minutes or until golden brown and dry. Cool away from drafts.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in large saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Stir a little hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan; stir until blended. (Tempering)
- Cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cool.
- Assembly: Cut off tops of cream puffs with a serrated knife. Pull out any soft dough.
- Spoon filling into cream puffs. Replace tops. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..